On a budget this festive season but feeling crafty? Why not make some salt dough Christmas ornaments?!
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cups table salt (the finer the better)
- 1 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 110°C.
- Mix plain flour, cinnamon and salt in bowl. Make a well in the centre and add oil and water. Mix well.
- Knead in bowl until dough comes together. Add more flour or water if necessary.
- Store excess dough in plastic wrap whilst making ornaments. Make ornaments, place on oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake on oven for 2 hours or until firm in centre.
- Paint as desired.
- Glue ribbon to back.
Here are some photos of my baked, unpainted salt dough ornaments.
Here are the ornaments after being painted. I painted the ornaments with spray paint. I first lightly sprayed a coat of gold, followed by a neutral beige. I used cream ribbon and glued them to the back of the ornaments with superglue.
Voila! So simple 🙂 This would make a great Christmas activity for kids. You could roll out the dough and use Christmas shaped cookie cutters if you don’t have time to bother with hand making each ornament.